When you are reading here whether you found me intentionally or accidently, please take time to leave a comment and let me know where you are and what you are thinking. I love feed back. Vondi

Thursday, March 15, 2012

responses to What the church is...and isn't

I was a little shocked at some of the responses to my last post.  I also posted it on Facebook and it was surprising to me how many people I'd always considered to be honestly following the Lord and walking close to Him regarded it.  They ranged from an attitude of discounting and disregarding the questions to open hostility toward them.

I guess the original questions came from a book on pagan Christianity--kind of an oxymoron.  The book was pointing out how many of our Christian traditions can be traced to old pagan customs.  I've not read the book so I don't know what exactly it said, but I do know that many of the things done in churches today can have their sources traced directly back to pagan ways of worship. Early 'church' leaders wanted to incorporate the pagans into the church without the necessity of a real conversion so they simply cloaked the teachings of Salvation under a semblance of paganism.  Christmas, for example, was a pagan custom observing winter solstice.  "Christ-mass" was instituted to combine the winter solstice observation and the celebration of birth of Christ.  The Christmas trees and yule logs and so forth were simply carry overs.

OK, enough of that.  The one woman, with the most violent opposition, didn't want to address the questions at all, but only wanted to dispute their validity because they had come from that book she read.

Here's the point I wanted to make.  Regardless of the 'source' of the questions, the person who sent them to me posed them to make his readers seriously consider the things they were doing that they considered 'worship' which were not pleasing to God. The Word teaches us that But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. (John 4:23,24) If we are incorporating pagan rites into our worship we have stepped away from the Truth of the Word.

Kit Pharo, the author of the devotion where I found the questions, has been impressed to make ordinary Christians aware of the state of modern Christianity in his own little corner of the world.  I have been blessed at the way the Holy Spirit is leading him into truth.

He has been given the beginning of an understanding regarding the Church. I'm anxious to see how the Lord leads him on.  His desire is that people will look at they way they worship, at the way they follow God.  He wants them to learn that 'church' is not a place we go once or twice a week. He wants them to know that WE are the Church as we follow God in Spirit and in Truth.

Consider the questions, not as sourced from some book that you can discount, or as from some guy that made them up, but as a way to evaluate your place before God and to grow closer to Him.  And as I said, it could be vitally important to your salvation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment