When you are reading here whether you found me intentionally or accidently, please take time to leave a comment and let me know where you are and what you are thinking. I love feed back. Vondi

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Getting Started

This is all new to me. I've wanted to begin a blog for quite a while but been distracted by other things. I'm a far cry from a computer whiz so this may never look professional and spiffy, but mostly it is to record my thoughts and hopefully have others read them and be encouraged to think for themselves and seek God's Way instead of blindly following what religious leaders, philosophers and politicians may say.

I called the blog site Tangled Highways because when I look around I see a veritable maze that mankind is trying to struggle through to some sort of end goal. I sympathize with them. I cannot imagine navigating through the world today with out following the Lord's way. Matthew tells us "strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." It may be narrow and straight,but it leads us safely. I am so thankful that I don't need to struggle through the tangled ways.

I can't make anyone do things the way I descibe for them. I can only say that I've walked this way for 40, nearly 50 years now and I've found that every promise the Lord ever made to me was kept. He has brought me through every hard place with victory and joy --sometimes with heartache and travail on my part. but many times with such ease that I had to marvel, because I hadn't been able to see any way possible for a positive resolution.

I heard a story once of an elderly minister who, in a very liberal religious gathering, was challenged for his standards for righteousness among God's people. They contended that salvation was outdated and of no use in modern society.

With slow steps he walked to the front of the auditorium and mounted the steps to the podium. When he reached it he took an orange from his pocket and proceeded to peel it and then, while his audience waited impatiently, he ate the orange, a section at a time.

When he finished he turned to the very learned and distinguished men lining the platform. He looked slowly along the row and the turned and looked at the impatient audience.

"Can anyone tell me if the orange was sweet?" he asked.

Irritation and confusion erupted. "Of course not" was the response. "We can't know. None of us tasted it!"

"That is exactly my answer to your criticisms of salvation and righteousness. You can't know because none of you have tasted it. But just like I experienced the sweet tang of the orange, I experienced the sweetness and strength of salvation. I've experienced the joy of following Christ in righteousness. You can't know the value of salvation until you have experienced it!"

Taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. Psalm 34:9

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the email letting me in on your new venture. I've changed my blog location but click on my name and you can get to the new one.

    ReplyDelete