When you are reading here whether you found me intentionally or accidently, please take time to leave a comment and let me know where you are and what you are thinking. I love feed back. Vondi

Monday, October 26, 2009

mmm

Oh yes, I wanted to tell you about my fabulous egg sandwich creation. Because of my starchy carb free diet I can seldom have bread. Usually I'm okay with that but sometimes I get a real hankering for it. Rachael, bless her little heart, found this whole wheat bread, Nickles 100% whole wheat bread. It has 16 grams of carbs per slice, which is about the same as other breads, but this is compensated for by 3 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein. It is a great alternative to white bread which has often has 20 carbs with only 1 gram of fiber and 2 grams of protein. And for some reason, thank goodness, it has a positive effect on my glucose numbers. Of course, I can't eat it every meal of every day, but I can occasionally have a sandwich or toast.
Anyway, enough of that. I like egg sandwiches but because of my standing-time issues, I'm not able to stand comfortably long enough to manufacture them. That process also includes standing and scrubbing the frying pan besides the preaparation.
I found a better way! Microwaved food can sometimes be disappointing, but this works!
Assemble: bread, thinly sliced deli ham (not chip-chopped, real ham) American cheese slices, 2 eggs, butter or margarine. two small containers-one microwavable sprayed with cooking spray. fork, knife.
Here's the part that prompted the whole thing- Sit down! Of course it helps to have a kitchen arranged so you can reach everything,but still...
Toast two pieces of bread-whatever kind you like.
While your bread is toasting. beat two eggs in a bowl, pour them into the microwave dish prepared with cooking spray.
Microwave the eggs for 1 minute.
When the toast pops, spread each slice with butter
Put a slice of cheese on one piece of toast.
When the minute of microwaving is over, flip the eggs. (They will be done on one side, but slimey on the bottom. )
Return eggs to microwave for 10 seconds.
Separate the ham slices -as many as you like.
Put the hot eggs on the slice of cheese,
Immediately spread the ham slices on top.
Place the other piece of toast on that and wrap the sandwich in a paper towel. The heat from the eggs warms the entire sandwich and melts the cheese!
Get your coffee or orange juice.
Breakfast is ready. hot ham and cheese with egg on toast! It's great. Tastes good. Easy prep. A whole breakfast in 3 minutes. Easy clean-up. Rinse the dishes and knife under hot water with a drop of soap....or toss them in the dish washer.
Trust me, try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment