When you are reading here whether you found me intentionally or accidently, please take time to leave a comment and let me know where you are and what you are thinking. I love feed back. Vondi

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

songs on the night

A lot of times I'm awake in the middle of the night. It seems that once I get my three sleep cycles in I'm awake and ready to go. I have no place to go so spend my time thinking. I consider of a lot of things and I won't even pretend they are all deep spiritual thoughts. Often I think about my kids and my dogs and things going on in the world, plans R&M have for the house all sorts of things. But there are times when my mind is fixed on the Lord and the things He has done for me. And when I'm meditating on those works, I can't help but sing His praises. The old testament writers spoke of songs in the night and the oldr I get the better I understand the concept.

When life is good, and things are running smoothly, it's easy to sing
joyfully. But what about the darker times we endure? David said, "Yet the LORD will command his loving-kindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life." Psalm 42:8 And sometimes I think we don't realize the blessing of being able to sing in the darkness, at midnight and the small hours of the morning.

Elihu, in the Book of Job, asked, "Where is God who giveth songs in the
night?"
However, David, in the above verse answers this with, "In the night
His songs shall be with me."

Everyone of us will pass through dark valleys sooner or later. All of us
will become ill at times. Some of us will become permanently ill. It is an
illusion that this side of heaven all diseases will be wiped out with cures.
We will all go through periods of suffering, bereavement, discouragement,
danger and difficulties. We are foolish if we believe our life will always go smoothly without rough spots and set backs.

There are those who give up their fidelity to God because they don't
believe God is fair. They ask, "What have I done to deserve this?" "Why is
there cancer?" "Why me?"

How will we answer these and similar questions? How will we learn to sing
songs in darkness?

Here's how . . . By having faith in the dominion of God! The world's not being ruled by chance, but by a God who's in control! Even a sparrow can't fall without God noticing. So, He cares for each of us much, much more. Nothing can happen that does not concern Him. Jesus sang in the darkest night of His life on earth. The Apostle John sang songs of joy and praise while in exile on the island of Patmos. At midnight, David arose to give thanks to God. And Paul tells us, "When I am weak, then I am strong."

How did they do that? Because they had all trusted before and God had proven Himself mighty in their behalf. That’s where the songs come from. They come from prayers answered and burdens lifted. We can’t wait until we are in deep water and then call for God’s help. We find our faith too weak then and we suffer failure and our songs in the daytime disappear, never mind the night. We must first trust Him for the little things, the things some might say don’t matter, that we can ‘take care of for our selves’. Only when we have seen His Greatness, His Mighty Hand, and His Stretched-out Arm, can we sing songs in the darkness.

Our lives will become stronger and our spirituality deeper when we learn the source of those songs in darkness. "At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments."

It makes my heart sing just to remember the works he had done on my behalf! And it isn't even dark yet. Praise the Lord
I meant to mention here that I've opened an additional blog called Chosen Highway. It is a blog devoted to auto-biograhical accounts-things I remember from my life. They are just random accounts. Maybe some day I'll organize them chronologially but for now, I'm just posting them as I think of them. There is a link over to the right further down the side bar that will take you to Chosen Highway if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment