When you are reading here whether you found me intentionally or accidently, please take time to leave a comment and let me know where you are and what you are thinking. I love feed back. Vondi

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Audio Bible

I am so excited this morning in my discovery of the Audio Bible. A few days ago a friend said he was discouraged about the length of the designated readings in a bible study we are doing together. In the course of our discussion I suggested he use an audio-Bible. Then I went and found the one in Bible Gateway. Before I sent him the link I used the site a little to make sure of what I was telling him. And I was hooked.

In the past I've avoided these audio bibles because most of them were in "alternative translations." I refuse to listen to a bible reading when I must be continually alert for false doctrine being promulgated surrepticiously in an allegedly legitimate translation of the Bible. The Gateway site, though, allows me to select the KJV edition of the Bible. I LOVE it. I cannot count the number of insights the Lord has given me in just the few days I've been listening/ reading it.

I use it two ways. One, I just listen while I'm doing other things that don't require concentration--answering email, playing a game or setting up photos in photobucket. As the activity goes through my fingers, my mind is caught by portions of the Word, that I knew were there but had never really focused on. But hearing them has a different impact!
For instance, just a few minutes ago I realized that when Ananias came to Paul in the inn after his conversion on road to Damascus, addressed him as 'Brother Saul." As far as I know, this is the first place that the appelation was used! (Somebody can tell me differently if I'm wrong.) Many people have asked me why we call one another "brother so-n-so" and "sister whatever's-her-name" in the Church. I've always answered that it was because we are recognizing our relationship in the family of God. And that is true, but until just about 50 minutes ago I never knew the phrasing was actually used in the BIBLE! Wow. And I've read the Bible for FIFTY YEARS. Yes, ever since I was 14 or 15 years old I've made a practice of reading my bible almost daily! And I never saw that! It wasn't until I heard the narrator say, "Brother Saul' that the light came on!

The other way I use the audio bible is to play it and follow along in the actual text. For instance, when I heard "Brother Saul" I stopped fixing my meals in Cafe World and pulled up the actual text of the Bible. Then I went back and read the chapter with the narrator. It was great! I was blown away by the reading of the words: And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord.. . Yes, I KNEW that Saul persecuted the Christians, but hearing the statement breathing out threatenings and slaughter, chilled my bones!! His hatred of the Christians was so much a part of him that it came out in his very breath! It never impacted on me like that before.

And then, did you know that Ananias really didn't want to go to Saul? I guess I knew it in the back of my mind, but it was just a statement on paper. He actually said to God, "Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: and here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name." Kind of a diplomatic way of saying, "Lord, are you crazy? Sending me to see that guy!" I could almost see Ananias' face as he said it-absolute shock and more that a little scared!
I've always had a good imagination and produce vivid imagery in my head as I read, but I have to say that listening to the Word being read has opened a whole new realm of understanding for me. I really do encourage every one of you to try it.

Go to http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/audio/ You can choose your version. I strongly recommend the King James. I think there is a link for alternative languages too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. :) The Audio Bible seems interesting; but I think I'll stick with the textual. I mean, it's different when God reveals certain points of a passage to you without someone else pointing it out for ya. But if it works for you, then by all means, sister!

    I just love how a certain passage means differently when you go over it several times. :)

    ReplyDelete