When you are reading here whether you found me intentionally or accidently, please take time to leave a comment and let me know where you are and what you are thinking. I love feed back. Vondi

Saturday, September 5, 2009

being a disciple or merely 'saved'

I read a study this morning in which the author made a couple statements that started me wondering over something I had never considered before. He said, in many more words than mine here, that there was a difference between being merely saved and being a disciple. A short quote: “We may prefer to belong to our mother, or to our wife, or to ourself; then, says Jesus, you can't be My disciple. This doesn't mean we won't be saved, but it does mean that we cannot be "His." Our Lord makes a disciple His own possession’

So, I’ve been considering the thought of whether a man can be ‘saved” and yet not be fully dedicated to, committed to and controlled by the Holy Spirit in whatever stage of life they may be in. Is being a disciple separate from being a mere follower or simply ‘born again?

In my mind and in all my memory of men of God preaching the word, we have all been called ‘disciples of Christ.” If we begin separating out those things spoken only in the presence the Twelve as being applicable only to the Twelve Disciples, we must discount much of the New Testament accounts of Christ’s life. Many of Christ's most beautiful promises were spoken while only in the company of the Twelve. Just to mention a few: “ I go to prepare a place for you…” “If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it”…” because I live, ye shall live also’…[the Holy Ghost] shall teach you all things” …”that my joy might remain in you”…” in me ye might have peace”...”that thou shouldest keep them from the evil …” “Sanctify them through thy truth” I am come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly!"

When Jesus was teaching in the temple (John 8:31), we find, Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed. Here he was talking to “those Jews which believed” not just his Twelve Disciples. And yet he calls all those who continue in His Word "disciples." We cannot separate the commitment required of ‘disciples’ from the commitment required of a ‘ordinary’ child of God. We are all to be His Disciples. We must all have exactly the same full hearted commitment.
Too often we find men and women wanting to be “Christians” but they don’t want to make that full commitment to the Lord. They want enough Salvation to avoid hell, but not enough that they will be required to forsake houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands. They don't want to be required to put themselves out to live for Christ. That is a bit too much. And yet, as long as those things take precedence over Him we cannot truly cast all our cares upon Him. We cannot truly step into his yoke and allow Him to bear our burdens. We cannot truly take on the likeness of Christ.

Paul told us in Corinthians, "...ye are not your own, you are bought with a price there for glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's. He wsn't speaking just to the disciples, but to a congregation of nominal 'christians.' He expected te same thing of them that Christ had--a full committment.

We have a religious world today wants to apply all the hard things of the Word to the Twelve Disciple. This way they are playing at following Christ. They have no sure faith, no righteousness, no power with God, having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof. If we are to be followers, we must be fully committed to being a follower of Christ in every sense of the word, not separating out what parts apply to us and which parts apply just to the ministry, the missionaries—the Disciples--only those who "choose" the Church as a profession.

And we wonder why the world is in the shape it's in. As for me, I want to be His Own Possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment