When you are reading here whether you found me intentionally or accidently, please take time to leave a comment and let me know where you are and what you are thinking. I love feed back. Vondi

Thursday, September 17, 2009

no more Peter, Paul and Mary



Mary Travers died today from the side effects of chemotherapy after her three year struggle with leukemia. It saddens me to know her beautiful voice is gone from the music scene. I enjoyed Peter, Paul and Mary's singing throughout their career, from the early sixties when I was college to the more recent concerts played on PBS. I've just spent a few minutes listening to youtube recordings: Puff-the Magic Dragon, Go Tell It on the Mountain, 500 miles, If I had a Hammer, and Blowing in the Wind.... They will never sound the same from any other group.

I guess one of the things that grieves me most is the thought that such a beautiful voice with such great compassion and sincerity and warmth is gone and I have no assurance that Mary ever met Christ. In fact, from all I've read and heard of her she was pretty much an agnostic. Knowing the folk/hippie background she came from and pretty much lived throughout her life I feel pretty sure she was never born again. It would be great to get to heaven and find her voice there, but I'm very afraid that I won't.

How do we get men and women to understand that a loving, generous personality and humanitarian beliefs do not compensate for a heart and life committed to the Lord?
Jesue saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me." John 14:6

No comments:

Post a Comment